Working Girl Reviews

• Mar 29, 2019

Crap! The only word that pretty much sums up this film. Corny and predictable doesn't even begin to describe this piece of tripe! And Melanie Griffith's bad acting and abnormally big hair doesn't really do much other than annoy you. For me I'll give this film half a star. Harrison Ford and Sigourney Weaver are the only 2 actors that salvage this sinking film, so for that I'd add an extra 2 stars.

• Jan 28, 2019

After being pimped out by her former employer, forward-thinking secretary Tess McGill (Melanie Griffith) begins working for friendly-on-the-surface mergers and acquisitions agent Katharine Parker (Sigourney Weaver). But when Tess accidentally discovers that her new boss is planning on stealing her idea, Tess takes advantage of a golden opportunity (Katharine breaking her leg in a skiing accident) to make a name for herself . . . even if she has to bend a few rules to do so. However, when she begins to fall in love with potential business partner Jack Trainer (Harrison Ford) - and then finds out Jack is Katharine's soon-to-be-ex-flame - things become more complicated than she could have imagined. This is the kind of nice, pleasant comedy drama you might watch on a rainy afternoon. Griffith is suitably charming in her lead role. Ford is ever the dashing love interest in his. Weaver rounds off the triangle with her deliciously underhanded (albeit all too briefly seen) performance. And that is the biggest problem this film suffers from: all of the sharp edges have been rounded off. It's too gentle of a love story to turn the business world on its head and yet it's too reliant upon its corporate plot to be a breezy "meet cute" of a movie. It's not sexy enough. It's not scathing enough. It's not insightful enough. It's not romantic enough. It simply doesn't stand out enough. It feels like the film is being torn apart by its two halves and it should have picked one direction to travel in instead of splitting itself in two. With Griffith and Weaver taking the wheel, they could have steered this film down a road of sarcastic humor and biting lessons in business etiquette that would have been far more interesting without the shoe-horned romantic subplot. Conversely, had this gone the direct romantic route and focused solely on Griffith's failing relationship with supporting cast member Alec Baldwin by finding solace in the arms of Ford, this could have been a deeply passionate love story that would have ignited silver screens around the world. In the end, it's still a slightly above average time waster that disappoints mostly due to the fact that we've seen better films from director Mike Nichols. Nichols seems to be standing in the middle of the aisle, playing it safe for his own corporate masters in the movie industry. It's hard to believe this is the same filmmaker who gave us the counter cultural classic "The Graduate" or the caustic "Catch-22." Maybe I'm to blame for wanting more from the movie than Nichols and inexperienced screenwriter Kevin Wade were willing to give.

• Nov 29, 2018

If ever there was a piece of capitalist propaganda (and hey right in time for capitalism's swan-song one year after its 1988 realise) this is it! All you need to be happy is that big corner office in a fine Manhattan based concern, and you'll be OK! All the cast are pretty good in this but I enjoyed best wise owl Philip Bosco as tycoon-does-good Oren Trask. Melanie Griffith is the ultimate girl next door does well in this very enjoyable story about trying to climb the career ladder, when you come from a less salubrious class than your superiors. It fills its 2 hours really well. And you cant forget those killer scenes of New York.

• Aug 01, 2017

Story about a woman trying to make it in the tough business world. Excellently directed movie by Nicols. Not a scene in this movie that isn't magic. Sigourny Weaver should have won best supporting actress instead of Geena Davis. One of my favorite movies ever.

• May 08, 2017

Fantastic 80s movie. Challenges traditional gender and class roles, and shows how an exclusive system can pit us against each other rather than giving each other the opportunity to share and thrive in success.

• Feb 05, 2017

I've loved this movie since it came out 30 years ago. Melanie Griffith, Harrison Ford, and Sigorney Weaver are all perfect. Just amazing together. I'd consider it one of the best movies of the 80's, and even of all time.

• Oct 02, 2016

Mike Nichols bounced right back to his brilliant directing best with this superb comedy drama which made Melanie Griffith a huge star. She arguably gives the best performance of her career as Tess, a secretary whose boss steals her ideas. Her boss is brilliantly played by Sigourney Weaver who offers solid support to Griffith. However Griffith will take a huge chance when Weaver is taken ill, so in order to get revenge she pretends that she has her boss's job. It's a very clever film in a way that does provide some good laughs and of course lots of good, messy hair. There is also decent support from Joan Cusack, Kevin Spacey and Harrison Ford. Nichols' direction is solid and this is one film from the year of this release which I like a lot, particularly due to the excellent performances from Griffith and Weaver. It also proves that work that can be fun - you can have a lot of fun.

• Sep 19, 2016

Working Girl is a movie that tells the same old story all over again. I'm sorry to be that blunt up front, but I was shocked this movie was so familiar and derivative, especially since it was nominated for Best Picture by the Academy. It's the classic tale of a lower-class girl who seizes the opportunity to pretend to be a high-class girl in order to prove herself, and in the process woo a man. Naturally things fall apart and she is forced to come clean even though admitting the lies will result in her losing everything she worked towards. I wanted so much more from this movie, but it didn't deliver anything beyond expectations. I even thought I might see a strong woman-power message but the women in power positions are shown to be evil. Also basically every woman in the film, including our heroine, is turned into a sex object with lots of scenes for the viewers of women in their lingerie or less. One positive I can say is that I liked Harrison Ford's performance, and felt like he was in a much better and classier film. The movie instantly feels extremely dated from the first frame, not always a negative thing, but I was surprised how Joan Cusack and Melanie Griffith basically looked like caricatures of an 80s woman. The cherry on top of the disappointment sundae was Melanie Griffith in the lead role. She plays Tess in such a meek and mild way that I literally could not buy any of these bold moves she makes in the film. I wouldn't say Working Girl is a bad movie, or that it's one people should avoid, but it doesn't do anything special or interesting which might be even worse.

• Sep 18, 2016

Very predictable cheese which dubs itself as a feminist film because it involves women capable of having good ideas and holding a management position. Pretty much tripe.

• Sep 04, 2016

This dragged on for a tad longer than I feel it needed to, but overall it was okay. The whole movie is just a fashion nightmare though. I like the cast but they are hardly at their best.