Working Girl - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Working Girl Reviews

½ May 8, 2017
Fantastic 80s movie. Challenges traditional gender and class roles, and shows how an exclusive system can pit us against each other rather than giving each other the opportunity to share and thrive in success.
February 5, 2017
I've loved this movie since it came out 30 years ago. Melanie Griffith, Harrison Ford, and Sigorney Weaver are all perfect. Just amazing together. I'd consider it one of the best movies of the 80's, and even of all time.
½ January 9, 2017
wOw, lots of big names in the cast. ill give it a watch
October 2, 2016
Mike Nichols bounced right back to his brilliant directing best with this superb comedy drama which made Melanie Griffith a huge star. She arguably gives the best performance of her career as Tess, a secretary whose boss steals her ideas.

Her boss is brilliantly played by Sigourney Weaver who offers solid support to Griffith. However Griffith will take a huge chance when Weaver is taken ill, so in order to get revenge she pretends that she has her boss's job.

It's a very clever film in a way that does provide some good laughs and of course lots of good, messy hair. There is also decent support from Joan Cusack, Kevin Spacey and Harrison Ford.

Nichols' direction is solid and this is one film from the year of this release which I like a lot, particularly due to the excellent performances from Griffith and Weaver. It also proves that work that can be fun - you can have a lot of fun.
September 19, 2016
Working Girl is a movie that tells the same old story all over again. I'm sorry to be that blunt up front, but I was shocked this movie was so familiar and derivative, especially since it was nominated for Best Picture by the Academy. It's the classic tale of a lower-class girl who seizes the opportunity to pretend to be a high-class girl in order to prove herself, and in the process woo a man. Naturally things fall apart and she is forced to come clean even though admitting the lies will result in her losing everything she worked towards. I wanted so much more from this movie, but it didn't deliver anything beyond expectations. I even thought I might see a strong woman-power message but the women in power positions are shown to be evil. Also basically every woman in the film, including our heroine, is turned into a sex object with lots of scenes for the viewers of women in their lingerie or less. One positive I can say is that I liked Harrison Ford's performance, and felt like he was in a much better and classier film. The movie instantly feels extremely dated from the first frame, not always a negative thing, but I was surprised how Joan Cusack and Melanie Griffith basically looked like caricatures of an 80s woman. The cherry on top of the disappointment sundae was Melanie Griffith in the lead role. She plays Tess in such a meek and mild way that I literally could not buy any of these bold moves she makes in the film. I wouldn't say Working Girl is a bad movie, or that it's one people should avoid, but it doesn't do anything special or interesting which might be even worse.
September 18, 2016
Very predictable cheese which dubs itself as a feminist film because it involves women capable of having good ideas and holding a management position. Pretty much tripe.
September 4, 2016
This dragged on for a tad longer than I feel it needed to, but overall it was okay. The whole movie is just a fashion nightmare though. I like the cast but they are hardly at their best.
September 4, 2016
I've always had a soft spot for this film and it had been years since I last saw it so it was nice to revisit it. Melanie Griffith is excellent in the lead and Harrison Ford does outstanding supporting work in one of his first comic performances. Sigourney Weaver is also excellent. Watch for early roles from young "up & comers" Oliver Platt and Kevin Spacey. Worth a watch!
½ August 19, 2016
A wonderful, uplifting movie with three great leads and a direction that captivates despite the obvious plot lines and superficially simplistic story.
August 15, 2016
When I saw the first 30 minutes of the film, I wasn't sure what to make of it. I had a hard time relating to the protagonist (despite her sexy charm) and I didn't quite understand what these characters in the film were doing (occupation wise, it was rather confusing since I'm not very smart.) But as the story progressed and Griffith and Ford's characters started doing things, I found myself engaged in the story. I cared about the characters, I was intrigued by their relationships, and in some scenes I was charmed. Sigourney Weaver doesn't have much to do here unfortunately, and it is not one of my favorite Mike Nichols films, but I really enjoyed watching "Working Girl". Funny, charming, and emotionally satisfying.
½ August 14, 2016
8/14/2016: An ok 80's rom com with a very good cast and a decent story.
August 7, 2016
July 20, 2016

Nikki's house

Nikki Oberholtzer
½ July 21, 2016
"Working Girl" is a tender comedy with and about the will of a woman.
½ July 17, 2016
ummm some bad messages
July 7, 2016
Fun film by Mike Nichols. "Working Girl" mixes comedy, drama, and romance perfectly and makes for a heartfelt, funny film starring Melanie Griffith, Sigourney Weaver, and Harrison Ford. 8/10
July 5, 2016
It's fun to be sure (The cast is uniformly good and Nichols always knew how to pace these kinds of comedies) but the movie is not as smart as it thinks it is. The ending is too clean and it arguably reinforces a lot of the sexist tropes the screenplay initially seems to be rebelling against.
July 2, 2016
One of my all time favorites
March 23, 2016
Ok den exo parapono perase kala i ora ;)
March 21, 2016
Some of it is obviously dated now, but the winning performances and sadly still relevant themes continue to position Working Girl a strong romantic comedy-drama.
March 19, 2016
I think I might have liked this more with any other lead actress.