The Wraith - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Wraith Reviews

September 10, 2017
Classic, the car is awesome
August 31, 2017
Best film of the 80's.... fact
July 16, 2017
What a strangely terrible movie. I heard on the podcast "How did this get made" that Charlie Sheen left early to go shoot Platoon? That's why there is so much weirdness and gaping plothole going on here. But regardless, there is just something so bad, that it is good about this movie. Check it out if that's your bag. Bad concept, bad execution, but weirdly enjoyable.
June 11, 2017
An @HDTGM Instant Classic!

This "movie" REALLY seems like a bunch a scenes were slapped together and the "star" Charlie Sheen is BARELY on the screen during the 90+ minute run time.

Despite all of this this is a MUST WATCH for bad movie film buffs and listen to the @HDTGM podcast episode where this movie is DISSECTED to near-perfection!
June 9, 2017
I?ll admit this is the first time I ever watched a movie solely because it was going to be covered on the podcast How Did This Get Made. As fits with their theme, The Wraith is a terrible movie. Now for those who enjoy a ?good-bad? movie this might actually have a lot of those qualities. The plot is stupid, most of the things that happen make no sense, and it?s not boring. There?s a lot of awful stuff going on in this film, and I probably could break it all down, but I?ll just hit some of the lowlights.

The cast has semi-famous names like Charlie Sheen, Randy Quaid, and Clint Howard. None of these guys is known for their acting skill. It?s actually amazing how little Sheen is in the movie, and when he?s there he seems bored or distracted, but apparently he had better things to do with his time. Clint Howard and Randy Quaid, on the other hand, both fully commit to their roles. The gang that make up the antagonists in this film is loaded with off the wall characters, which is good for a few laughs.

The big problem is that the story makes no sense at all. I won?t even try to break it down, but there are so many little details that are never explained and have no purpose for being in the film. I kept thinking ?did I miss something?? because so much of it felt like there could have been some type of backstory to set it up, but there simply wasn?t. I get the idea of movies like The Crow where a victim comes back from the dead to exact revenge, but why does he come back in this way?

Aside from laughing at the terribleness of the movie, the only joy I found was in the soundtrack. They must have spent a pretty penny on all the good music that is sprinkled throughout this film. It certainly had that vibe of a campy 80s teen movie. There are elements that feel like they would fit in any number of movies I loved in my early teen years, but the script and story is so dumb it never attained what those classics achieved. Definitely don?t watch The Wraith unless you?re gathering with some friends to laugh at it.
May 7, 2017
Hokey plot and acting, featuring a Randy Quaid dripping with enough sarcasm to quench the thirst for an 80's cheese fest you didn't know you had.
March 5, 2017
Honestly, I thought this was going to be another cheesy 80's movie (from the first 15 minutes you will see why), but I was pleasantly surprised! I normally judge movies pretty harshly and this one DOES have a low rating according to critics, but the audience gave it a decent rating, and since I'm audience, I agree with them. Sheen was great in this film and the car was badass!
February 21, 2017
Movie was so cool when I was 10. Movie is so cheesy now in my late 30s. Brought back childhood memories.
February 4, 2017
Greatest movie of all time!
½ January 26, 2017
The reason I decided to watch this movie was, when I watched the trailer, I thought that I hadn't actually seen it. Then again, the trailer I found, on this site here actually, was the first scene of the movie. It didn't actually show anything else. I'm 100% positive that I could have found an actual trailer for the film on YouTube, but I just didn't look for one. But, really, this is a movie about a guy who comes back form the dead, who has access to a supernatural car, to take revenge of those who murdered him. Of course I was gonna watch this sooner or later. So, color me surprised, that I actually have seen this movie before when I was much younger, I just didn't remember the movie's name. I don't wanna say I have fond memories of this movie, because I can't even remember if I liked it or not. But I do have very vivid memories of this and some of its scenes. It was almost as if I had watched it multiple times. I don't remember specific dialogue or anything like that, but some of the racing scenes are burned in my mind for some reason. And the scene where Gutterboy and Skank are killed in a huge explosion, I certainly remember that one as well. If there's any reason to watch this movie, it's really because it's about as campy as 80s movies get. Over-the-top villain, ridiculous acting, 80s hair metal soundtrack. What else can one ask for??? This film mixes elements of Knight Rider, Robocop and Mad Max to tell its ridiculous story and, for the most part, it's an entertaining watch. Though, you may ask yourself why I gave it an average rating if I was entertained by it. And to that I say that the film felt a little too one-dimensional for it to get a better rating. Not to mention the fact that the racing scenes were all the same, regardless of who was involved. Another thing is the fact that the movie says that Charlie Sheen is the star of the movie, but there's a big chunk of the film where he doesn't appear. Almost as if he wasn't even on set for one reason or another. If I were to quantify how much Charlie actually appeared on-screen, I'd say it was around 40% and maybe that's even too enthusiastic of a percentage. That's not really that much of a problem, because Charlie didn't actually add much anyway. He just didn't really seem to care, if you look at his performance. The only reason he was there was to make out with Sherilyn Fenn, who is absolutely gorgeous in this movie. Not the best actress here, but thankfully she improved later in her career. And that's another thing, the romance between Fenn and Sheen's character is so underdeveloped it's not even funny. The characters have literally nothing in common other than the fact that they find each other attractive. They don't spend any time getting to know each other, they just get right down to business. And I get that, you have a very limited time to tell your story, but at least make some sort of effort to tell a believable romance between then two. Then again, the movie is about a guy who comes back from the dead, in another body, to gain revenge on those who murdered him while using a supernatural vehicle. Realism CLEARLY wasn't an important part of the story. Like I said though, even with that, I found the movie to be just some good, campy fun even with its flaws. I don't really know what else to say about this that hasn't already been said. The acting is so-so, the characters are stereotypes, the action is repetitive, but there's a charm to this movie that can't be denied. And that makes it far more watchable. I wouldn't recommend it, but it's a campy good time if that's what you're looking for. This is an average movie at best.
October 21, 2016
The best! And still the best :)
½ September 18, 2016
I was able to give this one a look via cable recording not too long ago, and I was fairly engaged with it. The idea that a remote town somewhere in the desert is plagued by this cartoonish gang is a bit of a stretch, because I was waiting for the equally cartoonish and stereotyped character of Badass Sheriff to step in and blast everyone, Wild West Style.

It's worth a look if you have an afternoon to kill, give it a spin.
August 29, 2016
One of my all time fav 80's flicks
August 22, 2016
Love this film and even now 25 years after i first watched it the car is special ....
July 13, 2016
This is one of these movies that all critics hated that if u love cars u can't help but to love it, this is not a good movie, but some how it's one of those movies that are awesome. It's so bad it's awesome. I recommend watching this movie at lest once Charlie Shane character was very rememberable disputed hardly being in it its like he had it all figured out just watch it
½ June 12, 2016
6/12/2016: Not a great movie by an means, but still an entertaining 80's supernatural thriller.
June 11, 2016
Best cheesy 80s movie ever made. Great score, few mistakes and it's generally a fun film. Do recommend.
½ December 16, 2015
A guilty pleasure...
October 23, 2015
This is probably the best movie I ever seen.
October 16, 2015
Kind of bad, but interesting and funny because of it.