Yes Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Yes Man Reviews

September 13, 2016
Una commedia piuttosto prevedibile che porta sicuramente qualche risata. Il messaggio alla base del film è molto bello e moderno, anche se poteva essere sfruttato meglio. Comunque senza troppe pretese resta un film apprezzabile.
July 30, 2016
Loved it, I think everyone wanted to try it after watching this film, Jim plays his part really well, He's back to his best.
½ July 16, 2016
That was some pure Jim Carrey !! And a lovely Zooey Deschanel.
C'était du pur Jim Carrey !! Et une charmante Zooey Deschanel.
½ April 23, 2016
Yes Man is a pretty dumb movie. There's enough plot holes to drop an elephant through and most of the things Jim Carrey says "yes" to are artificial, unbelievable circumstances. I mean, if anyone said "yes" to everything, it would most likely result in lots of overtime and unwanted family dinners. The whole thing is implausible and nonsensical and at moments, inappropriate. And for all of those reasons, Yes Man is enjoyable. It's a light optimistic comedy that contrasts itself against a film industry that takes its work all too seriously. Check your brain at the door, order take out, and laugh a little. It's a mediocre movie, but it's pretty darn good at mediocrity.
April 14, 2016
Funny film - with a good message too! Thanks for the recommendation, Lauren!!!
½ April 2, 2016
There's nothing new or special about this movie, it has some moments, and Carrey is fun, again, but the movie is pointless and so predictable.
March 6, 2016
Bank loan officer Carl Allen (Jim Carrey) has become withdrawn since his divorce from ex-wife Stephanie. He has an increasingly negative outlook on his life and routinely ignores his friends Pete (Bradley Cooper) and Rooney (Danny Masterson). An old colleague friend, Nicholas "Nick" Lane (John Michael Higgins) suggests that he goes to a motivational "Yes!" seminar with him, which encourages its attendants to seize the opportunity to say "Yes!". Carl attends and meets inspirational guru Terrence Bundley (Terence Stamp). Bundley publicly forces a reluctant Carl to promise to answer "Yes!" to every opportunity, request, or invitation that presents itself. Later, Carl says yes to a homeless man's request and is stranded in Elysian Park. Disillusioned, he hikes to a gas station where he meets Allison (Zooey Deschanel), an unorthodox young woman. She gives him a ride back to his car on her scooter and kisses him before leaving. After this positive experience, Carl feels more optimistic about saying yes. However, he refuses oral sex from his elderly neighbor Tillie (Fionnula Flanagan), and then falls down the stairs and is nearly attacked by a dog. Seeing the repercussions of saying no, he goes back to Tillie and to his surprise enjoys the moment. Carl starts to seize every opportunity that comes his way. He renews his friendships with Pete and Rooney; builds a bond with his boss, Norman (Rhys Darby); assists Pete's fiancée, Lucy (Sasha Alexander), with her bridal shower; attends Korean language classes; and much more. He earns a corporate promotion at work and, making use of his guitar lessons, plays Third Eye Blind's song "Jumper" to persuade a man not to commit suicide. Accepting a band flyer outside of a coffee shop, he sees an idiosyncratic band called Munchausen by Proxy; the lead singer is Allison. He is charmed by her quirkiness; she is charmed by his spontaneity and the two begin dating. Carl and Allison meet at the airport for a spontaneous weekend excursion. Having decided to take the first plane out of town, regardless of its destination, they end up in Lincoln, Nebraska, where they bond more. Allison asks Carl to move in with her and he hesitantly agrees. While checking in for the return flight, Carl and Allison are detained by FBI agents who have profiled him as a potential terrorist because he has taken flying lessons, studied Korean, approved a loan to a fertilizer company, met an Iranian, and bought plane tickets at the last minute. Pete, his attorney, travels to Nebraska to explain Carl's odd habits, lessons, and decisions. As she finds out about Carl's motivational covenant, Allison begins to doubt whether his commitment to her was ever sincere. Deciding that she can no longer trust him, Allison leaves Carl and refuses to return his phone calls. Carl needs to figure out if the covenant is just a hoax and how he can win Allison back in his life...

I personally think this is amongst Jim Carrey´s best films. Here he has the perfect balance with his comic talent and it never becomes over the top in my opinion. The recognition factor is high on how life can sideline you at times, the storyline with the idea of actually saying yes to things in life instead of no is solid and so true, the chemistry between Jim Carrey and Zooey Deschanel is fantastic and feels so real, Rhys Darby is brilliant as Norm, great comic support from Bradley Cooper, Danny Masterson and John Michael Higgins and there´s so many golden comic scenes in the film. When Carl carries Allison at the airport, when Allison hugs Carl in the barn, when he saves the guy from killing himself by singing Third Eye Blind´s "Jumper", Norm´s dress up parties, when Carl starts speaking korean in the store etc etc. I could mention almost every scene in the film... Plus there´s great music from Eels, Bloc Party, The Bravery etc and how can you not fall madly and deeply in love with Zooey Deschanel? I was mesmerised by her the first time I saw "Yes Man" and no matter how many times I will see this film, she wins my heart every time. And she seems to be that way in real life as well. She is true girlfriend material. She is funny, quirky, charming, smart, beautiful, multitalented, lovely and just bloody adorable. "Yes Man" is a great and truly funny rom-com movie based on layers of life we all can relate to.
February 9, 2016
I loved this movie. Great acting, and wonderful concept. It gives me inspiration.
February 8, 2016
Jim Carrey funny as always.

Good message: Don't let to take risk in life and don't say NO to big opportunities.
February 6, 2016
Yes Man was a funny film; especially the car crash scene
½ January 31, 2016
Yes Man isn't funny nor original, the plot is very predictable and suffers from apathetic performances by Zooey Deschanel, however it's undeniable that the director Peyton Reed did a clever game with the soundtrack that with the help of the Jim Carrey postures make us feel interested about the story.
½ January 31, 2016
½ January 3, 2016
Jim Carrey doesn't believe in vaccinations. He and his movies are idiotic
½ January 2, 2016
A lifeless and predictable comedy that gives grants only a few chuckles thanks to Jim Carrey's like-ability and charm.
December 28, 2015
Yes Man is a disappointing film. It is about a guy who challenges himself to say "yes" to everything for an entire year. Jim Carrey and Zooey Deschanel give terrible performances. The screenplay is badly written. Peyton Reed did a horrible job directing this movie. I was not impressed with this motion picture.
December 3, 2015
This movie is an utter rip-off of "Liar Liar," and when I first saw this movie, I thought it was mediocre. Since then, I've rewatched it a couple times and found it makes more of an impression each viewing. Now I find myself thinking about funny parts of the movie, even though I haven't seen it in years. This film has grown on me quite a bit since its debut.
½ December 3, 2015
Well, I saw it last night. Nothing special. It may have few laughs, but the story is a little bit cheesier than I expected.
Conclusion: Little above the average, not so spectacular, but not bad, I do recommend you to see it only because of Jim Carrey. The others seem to be a little boring.

Grade: B-
Percentage: 57%
Rating: 3.5/5
November 23, 2015
Noting special then another bland yet entertaining film.
½ October 8, 2015
Yes Man offers some tender-hearted moments and a solid cast. Jim Carrey brings his signature bravado along for the ride. Despite its strengths, the film can't escape typical genre trappings and cliche elements.
½ September 5, 2015
Carl Allen's life is going nowhere the usual No man is transformed into a YES man and Carl's life starts changing