Young Adult - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Young Adult Reviews

½ October 18, 2016
Charlize Theron's portrayal of a sad selfish shallow crazily insecure and arrogant early mid-life crisis alcoholic is so amazing that it makes watching a movie about her despicable character quite painful. The utterly shameless product placement is also somewhat painful. There is some humor though, I did laugh on several occasions. Weird. Not much else to say.
½ September 15, 2016
Some pretty unappealing characters, but well acted.
July 31, 2016
I found myself eager to see what Mavis would do next, to win the guy over who is happily married. Charlize Theron plays this character perfectly. There's not one moment in here where she tries to change and become a better person and I totally appreciate that.

Grade: B+
July 7, 2016
So aside from the fact that two female-lead comedies this year have managed to capture my life situation and personality in their respective leading ladies, "Young Adult" was pretty much a slightly-above-average bitchy comedy. Soundly written by Diablo Cody with scaled back vernacular and a little more bite and deftly directed by Jason Reitman who seems to have the knack for caressing and coaxing out all the nuanced moments and character bits in Cody's writing. I think these bitches need to work together all the time. *sniff sniff* Smell that? That's a dream team.
May 24, 2016
I love every thing about this movie. Some people don't get it but I watched it 4 times and laugh so hard every time. I think maybe I relate to the main character just a little too much lol
May 15, 2016
A sort of tame (which translates to lame, at times) script by Diablo Cody. While I am always intrigued by the plots of her screenplays, I've never been a fan of her writing on the whole. For every sharp line of dialogue there are eighteen that are obvious, forced or in her version of "reality," which is really only movie reality. However, this is my favorite of her work -- I found the character of JUNO to be smug and unlikable, while JENNIFER'S BODY was tone-deaf and awkward.

A fierce performance by Charlize Theron but bland, forgettable work from everyone else except Patton Oswald who does what he can with a bizarrely created character who was the victim of a sort-of hate crime. Something is off about this movie but if you're an actor, it's worth it to see what Charlize Theron created with this role.
May 10, 2016
Charlize Theron's performance in Young Adult deserves praise. She was absolutely perfect for this role. The script and directing are both smart which makes for a very enjoyable yet subtle film
½ May 9, 2016
The key images of this film that have stayed with me are of Charlize getting ready. Having her nails clipped and pushed back, fake hair, considered stockings. Her character is almost a grotesque being slathered in makeup and pushed out into the world. Her body is so human. In 'Jennifer's Body' Megan Fox is a red, peeling mess and she slathers foundation on her face like thick clay, while crying. That's the kind of recurring image I'm into. If we're going to critique femininity or its harmful practices, let's do it from the eyes of the women caught inside it. We're not meant to like Mavis Gary and we really don't, but there's a weird thrill in watching her crumble and then pick herself back up, without a single lesson learned.
April 11, 2016
Young Adult does have a very disappointing third act, but everything else that came before it is great with superb characters, excellent issues well explored here, some very dramatic scenes and some emotional ones as well. It also has a terrific performance from Charlize Theron and it is such a good, realistic dramedy.
½ March 26, 2016
Absolutely brilliant film and portrayal of mental illness! Fantastic storyline, fabulous acting and extraordinary cinematography! One of my favourite independent films by far! 100% recommend!
½ March 14, 2016
Good but not great - I'd expected more from all the rave reviews.
½ March 1, 2016
In 2007, writer Diablo Cody and director Jason Reitman teamed up to create a sharply observed, endlessly edgy and strikingly witty teen drama with a slant, Juno. This dark comedy was memorable for the sum of its well measured ingredients and its unusually crisp screenplay that explored life at its unfiltered best.

Rewarded for their efforts with three Academy Award nominations and one win (for best screenplay), they proved that not only is humour notoriously subjective but it is also worth its weight. Other writers have utilised the concept of self-aware, overly verbose characters churning out countless rom-coms made from the same mould; as they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

In 2011, the duo has reformed in an attempt to rekindle that magic with Young Adult and put the flattering copycats in their place. Sadly however, the cultural shtick has been exhausted and the icy human observations of a train wreck waiting to happen character is no longer funny, not even in the bleak way.

Broken from her recent divorce, the boozy, unprincipled and profoundly unhappy Mavis Gray (Charlize Theron) lives a zombie-like existence in the mini-apple of Minneapolis. A ghost-writer for a failing series of young-adult novels, Mavis suffers from an acute case of writer's block and a belated belle-of-the-high-school-ball grandeur complex that only her ever patient fluffy toy dog Dolce can tolerate long term.

When she receives an email with a picture of a beautiful baby girl and an announcement that her ex home town sweetheart Buddy Slade (Patrick Wilson) has become a father, Mavis's mental state hits rock bottom. Waking from her stupor, Mavis becomes obsessed with the idea that she can simply blow back into her honky-tonk small home town of Mercury and reclaim the long forgotten romance between her and Buddy.

After contacting buddy and arranging a time appropriate drink the following day, Mavis heads to the nearest bar. Downing the first of many drinks, the ultimately blunt Mavis becomes engaged in a painful conversation with former classmate Matt Freehauf (Patton Oswalt) about his high school tortures and his life now as an overweight cripple.

Unable to overcome his own demons, Matt lives at home, makes moonshine and paints miniature figurines, but when Mavis shares her secret plan to steal buddy back all Matt's issues pale in comparison to the psychotic prom queen's insecurities.

Mavis's rosy mist of denial makes it impossible to hear the harsh home truths and no amount of wake up calls and woeful looks can penetrate her armour. Dealing with each uncomfortable situation with the same amount of in indignation leads to a mixture of hilarious and truly tragic situations as Mavis's life finally goes belly up. Sometimes home is not sweet home.

Theron seamlessly transitions from beautiful seductress to memorably mean mental case, making viewers laugh and squirm as required; Oswalt's underlying current of melancholy is ever present and well balanced with the character, when these two are on screen together you can feel the good intentions driving the film, even if you can't sink into them.

The Verdict: Slightly off balance and constantly teetering on the edge, Young adults never falls into either funny or moving. Like Mavis, viewers are left wanting in life and love for this hollow film.

Published: The Queanbeyan Age
Date of Publication: 27/01/2012
February 22, 2016
Restores (a bit) of faith in Diablo Cody, and the self-critiquing way in which this was written by her is pretty hilarious and kind of admirable. Charlize Theron is great and really gets the balance between being funny while also showing the hypocrisy of the character that's ultimately based on deep insecurity. Patton Oswalt does quite well too. Mostly it is a fascinating and sad character study that I really liked.
February 21, 2016
Charlize Theron is perfect once again after shining as Aileen Wuornos in Monster, making it easy for us to feel sympathy for a character who is so immature and selfish - thanks also to Diablo Cody, who wrote a smart script and really knows how to blend dark humor and bitterness.
½ February 14, 2016
Theron's acting is amazing in this one.
½ October 15, 2015
I loved this movie, and for me, it did what I think Blue Jasmine did for the critics at the time. It's a sobering character study of a woman whose narcissistic shell has started to crumble, as age and alcoholism have rendered her unlikely to get that 'specialness' constantly validated. Young Adult can be incredibly painful to watch, but there's truth behind every line; Charlize Theron's incredible talent makes her pro/antagonist character pitiful rather than hateable. The last 25 minutes or so in particular are particularly wrenching, yet a masterclass in understated acting.
October 11, 2015
An acting tour de force of Charlize Theron, true actress. One of those movies that you really like to rewatch eventually.
September 13, 2015
Severely dark and completely believable in every way.