Young Adult - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Young Adult Reviews

September 12, 2017
I thought this movie was awesome. The acting is wonderful and it truly shows depression up close, while making it comical at the same time.
August 21, 2017
(5.0 out of 6)
When we see we can't seem to let go of our old bad habits, that we don't know where to go after we been let go from another bad choice. When we see we can let go of somethings and hold onto other things we seem to not let go when it gets us moving off our feet in a different direction we set out to go. When we see what we once let go and gave up on and what they have going on now we see we can't let go of them when we are meant for each other. When we see others are starting to let go of us when we don't deliver on time. When we see we can't let go of some feelings to go where our mind is and leave somethings behind and follow our heart. When we can't let go of some faces as much as others do when our face makes an impression on some people. When we can't let go of our pasts as much as others do to only give up or keep trying. When we see we can't let go of some old flings to hold onto the next best things that reminds us to never let go. When others don't let go of other things they balance both their new and old life. When we see we can't let go of some faces when they never change and can't let go of a time so fun and youthful. When we see we can't let go when it's hard that we need something much stronger and keeps us going throughout the night when our mind can't seem to let go. When we can't let go of some faces we wish could see us but don't to only let go of the fact they are selfish. When we see we can't seem to let go more of our bad habits to get others involved also when we can't let go how great we are seen by others. When we see others let go of us when somethings get old and discontinue to only return them back and let them go from sight when they are no longer in demand. When we see we we can't let go how great we are to leave some places and make it big to only not be seen and not have others know we had gone in the first place. When we see we can't to let go of some appearance when that's all that matters when we can't let go of some school rifts. When we see we can't seem to let go of some sounds we like hearing when they remind us of old good times. When we see we can't let go of our pasts and presents when they are all what we want but not what others want to only have to choose and let go. When we see letting go of our pasts makes us go down deep dark roads and directions we wish not to go. When others let go of some pasts easily when they are downers and we have alot to look forward to. When we don't see we let go of plenty of things when we are too busy looking forward to our own life. When we see we let go of our past to only pick up right where we left them. When others can't seem to let go of somethings when it's the only reminder of happier times when there hasn't been much to look forward to since then. When we don't see we haven't let go of bad habits when they harm us, the reason why we go down dark paths, and impairs us from good judgement. When others see everyday what bad judgment does to others when they can't let go of ass holes who ruin their life forever. When we see others go down roads with voids that are big that we don't see can't let go of us when we turn to them to make us happy. When we see we are all eyes again when we can't let go of the attention and drama. When we see that others let go of silly dreams to only let go of us. When we see we can't seem to let go of others not caring about us when we are no longer popular and cool. When we can't let go of what we lost when it's the life we could have lived if life didn't let go on us and made us feel this way and be alone and depressed. When we see that once we let go of all that makes us feel what we wished to be, we can see what to hold onto someone who is like us, scarred, broken inside, outsider, uncool, and everything we rejected all those years that we see eye to eye with. When we see we let go more then one life to know we missed out. When sometimes it's hard to let go of the past when everyone keeps bringing it up and reminding us who we are and who they are that we continue.

When we see that once we put all of our life into perspective, why should we let go when we accomplished alot and are somebody while ours are nobody clinging to nothing. When it's hard to see what is good to let go and and what to take to only accept who we are and what we enjoy that makes enjoy all what life has to offer to us. When we see we can let go of some places that dont understand us or see us to only leave it behind. When we see we can't seem to let go of other things we write about, see all around and hate what we don't have. When we see we must live with what we let go and go somewhere after.
July 2, 2017
Smart,very funny, very entertaining and a great standout performance from the talented Charlize Theron.
March 26, 2017
Mental health and loneliness are explored with some humour in what should not be a plausible social situation, but it does play out with a sincerity.
February 7, 2017
Commendable simply on the basis of sticking so closely to such an unpleasant female protagonist, it also helps that it's funny as hell (as long as you like dark/cringe comedy), has some great cast chemistry, and doesn't have a terrible eye-roller of an ending. I mean, the third act isn't amazing, but it could have been a lot worse.
December 27, 2016
Charlize Theron is perfect once again after shining as Aileen Wuornos in Monster, making it easy for us to feel sympathy towards a character who is so immature and selfish - thanks also to Diablo Cody, who wrote a smart script and really knows how to blend dark humor and bitterness.
½ October 18, 2016
Charlize Theron's portrayal of a sad selfish shallow crazily insecure and arrogant early mid-life crisis alcoholic is so amazing that it makes watching a movie about her despicable character quite painful. The utterly shameless product placement is also somewhat painful. There is some humor though, I did laugh on several occasions. Weird. Not much else to say.
½ September 15, 2016
Some pretty unappealing characters, but well acted.
July 31, 2016
I found myself eager to see what Mavis would do next, to win the guy over who is happily married. Charlize Theron plays this character perfectly. There's not one moment in here where she tries to change and become a better person and I totally appreciate that.

Grade: B+
July 7, 2016
So aside from the fact that two female-lead comedies this year have managed to capture my life situation and personality in their respective leading ladies, "Young Adult" was pretty much a slightly-above-average bitchy comedy. Soundly written by Diablo Cody with scaled back vernacular and a little more bite and deftly directed by Jason Reitman who seems to have the knack for caressing and coaxing out all the nuanced moments and character bits in Cody's writing. I think these bitches need to work together all the time. *sniff sniff* Smell that? That's a dream team.
May 24, 2016
I love every thing about this movie. Some people don't get it but I watched it 4 times and laugh so hard every time. I think maybe I relate to the main character just a little too much lol
May 15, 2016
A sort of tame (which translates to lame, at times) script by Diablo Cody. While I am always intrigued by the plots of her screenplays, I've never been a fan of her writing on the whole. For every sharp line of dialogue there are eighteen that are obvious, forced or in her version of "reality," which is really only movie reality. However, this is my favorite of her work -- I found the character of JUNO to be smug and unlikable, while JENNIFER'S BODY was tone-deaf and awkward.

A fierce performance by Charlize Theron but bland, forgettable work from everyone else except Patton Oswald who does what he can with a bizarrely created character who was the victim of a sort-of hate crime. Something is off about this movie but if you're an actor, it's worth it to see what Charlize Theron created with this role.
May 10, 2016
Charlize Theron's performance in Young Adult deserves praise. She was absolutely perfect for this role. The script and directing are both smart which makes for a very enjoyable yet subtle film
½ May 9, 2016
The key images of this film that have stayed with me are of Charlize getting ready. Having her nails clipped and pushed back, fake hair, considered stockings. Her character is almost a grotesque being slathered in makeup and pushed out into the world. Her body is so human. In 'Jennifer's Body' Megan Fox is a red, peeling mess and she slathers foundation on her face like thick clay, while crying. That's the kind of recurring image I'm into. If we're going to critique femininity or its harmful practices, let's do it from the eyes of the women caught inside it. We're not meant to like Mavis Gary and we really don't, but there's a weird thrill in watching her crumble and then pick herself back up, without a single lesson learned.
April 11, 2016
Young Adult does have a very disappointing third act, but everything else that came before it is great with superb characters, excellent issues well explored here, some very dramatic scenes and some emotional ones as well. It also has a terrific performance from Charlize Theron and it is such a good, realistic dramedy.
½ March 26, 2016
Absolutely brilliant film and portrayal of mental illness! Fantastic storyline, fabulous acting and extraordinary cinematography! One of my favourite independent films by far! 100% recommend!
½ March 14, 2016
Good but not great - I'd expected more from all the rave reviews.
½ March 1, 2016
In 2007, writer Diablo Cody and director Jason Reitman teamed up to create a sharply observed, endlessly edgy and strikingly witty teen drama with a slant, Juno. This dark comedy was memorable for the sum of its well measured ingredients and its unusually crisp screenplay that explored life at its unfiltered best.

Rewarded for their efforts with three Academy Award nominations and one win (for best screenplay), they proved that not only is humour notoriously subjective but it is also worth its weight. Other writers have utilised the concept of self-aware, overly verbose characters churning out countless rom-coms made from the same mould; as they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

In 2011, the duo has reformed in an attempt to rekindle that magic with Young Adult and put the flattering copycats in their place. Sadly however, the cultural shtick has been exhausted and the icy human observations of a train wreck waiting to happen character is no longer funny, not even in the bleak way.

Broken from her recent divorce, the boozy, unprincipled and profoundly unhappy Mavis Gray (Charlize Theron) lives a zombie-like existence in the mini-apple of Minneapolis. A ghost-writer for a failing series of young-adult novels, Mavis suffers from an acute case of writer's block and a belated belle-of-the-high-school-ball grandeur complex that only her ever patient fluffy toy dog Dolce can tolerate long term.

When she receives an email with a picture of a beautiful baby girl and an announcement that her ex home town sweetheart Buddy Slade (Patrick Wilson) has become a father, Mavis's mental state hits rock bottom. Waking from her stupor, Mavis becomes obsessed with the idea that she can simply blow back into her honky-tonk small home town of Mercury and reclaim the long forgotten romance between her and Buddy.

After contacting buddy and arranging a time appropriate drink the following day, Mavis heads to the nearest bar. Downing the first of many drinks, the ultimately blunt Mavis becomes engaged in a painful conversation with former classmate Matt Freehauf (Patton Oswalt) about his high school tortures and his life now as an overweight cripple.

Unable to overcome his own demons, Matt lives at home, makes moonshine and paints miniature figurines, but when Mavis shares her secret plan to steal buddy back all Matt's issues pale in comparison to the psychotic prom queen's insecurities.

Mavis's rosy mist of denial makes it impossible to hear the harsh home truths and no amount of wake up calls and woeful looks can penetrate her armour. Dealing with each uncomfortable situation with the same amount of in indignation leads to a mixture of hilarious and truly tragic situations as Mavis's life finally goes belly up. Sometimes home is not sweet home.

Theron seamlessly transitions from beautiful seductress to memorably mean mental case, making viewers laugh and squirm as required; Oswalt's underlying current of melancholy is ever present and well balanced with the character, when these two are on screen together you can feel the good intentions driving the film, even if you can't sink into them.

The Verdict: Slightly off balance and constantly teetering on the edge, Young adults never falls into either funny or moving. Like Mavis, viewers are left wanting in life and love for this hollow film.

Published: The Queanbeyan Age