Your Sister's Sister - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Your Sister's Sister Reviews

June 4, 2018
Strengths: It feels like all movies involving Mark Duplass (Jack) are filled with quality dialogue. That was the case here again, as the entire movie has sharp conversation that switches from witty and comical, to deep and emotional at the drop of a hat. That's made even more impressive when you consider that most of the dialogue was improvised. Emily Blunt (Iris) and Rosemarie DeWitt (Hannah) were both great as the females in the film. They both shared strong chemistry with Duplass that shined throughout. The big scene where everything comes out, from Jack and Hannah sleeping together to Hannah poking holes in the condom to Iris' feelings towards Jack, is fantastic.

Weaknesses: Usually, these indie films are rife with charm, but there's not a lot to this one. Though it's considered a romantic comedy, there's not a lot of romance in it. Other than a few conversations, the Iris/Jack love story isn't fully developed. We just get the sense that they are simply friends until Iris flat out admits it to her sister. I wasn't a big fan of the ending. It wraps things up a bit too nicely considering everything that happened. Plus, the cliffhanger vibe didn't quite work for me.

Overall: A good movie with some strong dialogue and acting from the three leads. It can be a bit dull at points and the ending leaves something to be desired, but it's an easy watch that you probably won't regret.
½ April 23, 2018
whoever has the sun..

Your Sister's Sister

Its key lies within the process of bonding that occurs so smoothly that one almost forgets that all of it is an act. Lynn Shelton has done a brilliant job on writing this screenplay and bring it alive on screen, which is not easy to execute especially such an eerie situation that is created among characters where he literally plays with them like a puppet. The performance objective is what itches in the throat in here for no matter how much Emily Blunt must invest on it, she is just a supporting actor the rest of it actually lies upon Mark Duplass and Rosemarie DeWitt; the lead characters, who could have done better. Your Sister's Sister may have a similar tone to "dysfunctional family" genre but it certainly is more than that especially in its high pitched dramatic sequences in its last act where all the sub-plots merges in.
February 22, 2018
My cousin was conceived after a bottle of hard liquor 30 yeard ago. He has a list of disabilities due to his parents' intoxication back in the day. Making babies with boose is a shortcut to a lifelong suffering, including multiple lives. I hope that NOBODY uses the plot from this movie as a recipe for their lives, yet this movie does not have even a slight whiff of "Do NOT try this at home". Should we have more movies like this, teaching our young "ho to"?
Please keep drinking and making babies apart!
October 12, 2017
90% talking 100% awesome
½ January 28, 2017
This is an okay movie. Emily Blunt doesn't do a good job of hiding her British Accent. Decent story with an interesting twist.
December 31, 2016
It's not good movie to watch
December 20, 2016
Small scale but very modern romcom that focuses on giving its characters depth and motivation instead of grandiose romantic gestures in contrived situations.
½ September 21, 2016
A trio of excellent performances helps sell this as a nuanced film instead of a derivative one.
September 8, 2016
Idk man idk . Duplass is my guy still. This one wasn't very good though
½ August 7, 2016
A rather daft premise with an awful ending. It really is a flat movie with no charm or laughs. Its not memorable in the slightest and a total waste of your time.
½ August 4, 2016
On the strength of its three leads (The standout being Emily Blunt) "My Sister's Sister" overcomes its weaker elements to produce an honest drama with decent emotional heft.
½ July 14, 2016
Lively and engaging performances pull through the slight conventions of an absurdly unlikely conundrum.
July 7, 2016
- Watched this a second time and enjoyed it just as much. The writing is excellent and the 3 leads give engaging and convincing performances. Worth checking out!

- I really enjoyed this one, a indie film hidden gem. It primarily features 3 characters, and all the actors are excellent in their roles. It's is a bit of a slice of life following these 3 in a complicated situation, it has moments of bot drama and humour. Highly recommended!
June 15, 2016
for the majority, i enjoyed this film. The twist at the end was kinda unfortunate. Was really strong until then
June 11, 2016
Bond between the sisters' is shown like never before in this movie. Great visuals and chemistry between actors.
May 20, 2016
I can't think of any reasons to not give 5.
½ April 24, 2016
Don't these people have jobs!
February 7, 2016
Excellent choice of cast.
February 6, 2016
Rosemarie Dewitt is ??, but mumblecore is ultimately not my jam.