Zodiac - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Zodiac Reviews

½ June 22, 2017
Zodiac is crime/drama film directed by David Fincher, and it was released all the way back in 2007. A decade ago! Dang, that is hard to believe. Anyway, I wasn't able to see Zodiac when it initially released in theaters and really I had never even thought about it until I saw it got added to Netflix this month. I immediately added it to my list and finally got around to watching it. Zodiac may not be as good as Se7en, and it's definitely not the best crime/drama movie ever made, but it's still pretty damn good.

Plot

As you might have guessed based off of the title, Zodiac, the movie is all about the Zodiac killer, and the people who try to figure out the identity of the killer. I won't go too deep into spoilers, but if you were alive when the Zodiac killer was actually active or if you have read the book, you'll know at least some of the story. Essentially, there's a serial killer on the loose in California and he likes to taunt the press/police after he successfully commits a murder. The movie follows the detectives, a journalist, and a cartoonist as they try to figure out who the killer is. I wasn't alive during that time, and I never read the book or do any research on the subject. So this was a whole new story to me, and I feel like I benefited because of that. The entire time I was trying to figure out who the killer actually was. The director does try to throw a few curveballs at the audience, but I feel like they were almost unnecessary and actually hindered my final assessment of the film. Not that throwing curve balls at the audience is necessarily a bad thing, but the twists just weren't executed all that well.

Anyway, the story kept me enthralled from start to finish. I was completely invested in the investigation by about the half-way point. I didn't look at how much longer was left in the movie once, and I even put off going to the bathroom because I did not want to pause the movie. That's how into it I was. One challenge that Fincher really overcame was the timeline. This movie spans a lot of years. And sometimes that can harm a film dearly. Jumping weeks, months, years at a time can sometimes kill a film's momentum, and lose the audience in the process. But this movie doesn't do that. It can jump weeks or months and you'll hardly even notice. It never loses momentum and it never becomes a drag.

Overall, the story of Zodiac is incredibly gripping and well done. Fincher does a great job of making a "cold case" into a movie that actually has a resolution that is satisfying, and he is able to make even the boring stuff seem interesting.

Characters

Almost all of the characters in Zodiac are great. They're engaging, unique, and have great arcs. But Paul Avery, who is portrayed by Robert Downey Jr., is the weakest character of the entire film. I get that Fincher was a bit hogtied when it came to each character's arc, but man what a waste of Robert Downey Jr. His character has a pretty small role in the film in the grand scheme of things and doesn't actually add a whole lot to it. He drinks, he smokes, and he helps the case along a little but for the most part he's just there. And it gets to a point in the film where he's completely unnecessary, but they give him a few scenes anyway. I mean, Zodiac is a long film, so cutting out these excess scenes with his character would have trimmed at least a few minutes off of the 2 hour and 37 minute run time. But it is Robert Downey Jr. so I guess they didn't want to cut any of his scenes. Now, I want to make it perfectly clear that Paul Avery doesn't hinder the film or impact it in a negative way. He just doesn't add a whole lot to it and overall seems unnecessary. The rest of the characters are great, though.

Potential Audience

Zodiac is a mature film. The first half of the movie contains quite a few murder scenes, and I would say that no one under the age of 16 or 17 should watch it. Heck, some people well into their 40s may find some of the scenes in this movie disturbing. It all depends on how much ultra-realistic violence actually impacts you. If you like crime, drama, or thriller movies you'll definitely have a good time with Zodiac. Just don't let your young child watch it.

Conclusion

Zodiac is a great film. The story is a quite the ride and the characters keep you engaged. The film does run a bit long, but because the story is so fascinating I doubt you'll even notice how long it truly is. If you have Netflix, go watch it as soon as you can. If you don't have Netflix, go rent it for a couple of bucks-it's worth it.
June 15, 2017
David Fincher needs to do more movies like this.
June 11, 2017
I really enjoyed this movie. Maybe it's my obsession with serial killers, or love for David Fincher, but I found it fascinating. Crazy they never caught the guy, or even figured out who it was.
½ June 2, 2017
great film about the unsolved murders that people still wonder about class performances and a film that grinds out the facts
May 3, 2017
David Fincher, who previously directed some of the best films off all time, like Se7en (1995), and Fight Club (1999), comes back with this horror movie, based on true events. It's quite long, but the film is well made and sticks pretty well to the true story, feels, in a way, like a documentary. It's surprising how the film's dialogue can be very tense, suspensful and very scary, much more than the death scenes. The film spends more time developing, following the characters and shaping their personality and role in the story. Bottom line, this is an other achievement by David Fincher and makes you wonder who was, or is, and where the hell is the Zodiac now? Recommended !!
April 24, 2017
The straightforward approach is crucial, because the movie is constantly doling out so much information -- so many names and places and theories to keep track of -- that it borders on the overwhelming. Occasionally, it's a little dull, too.
April 20, 2017
Despite knowing how this true story turned out (or at least how it did by 2007), I was still captivated and enthralled throughout the entire film. I couldn't wait to see where things would go. And I don't mean that in the sense that I just wanted to see what would happen at the end of the nearly three hour long run-time. I mean that I couldn't wait to see what was going to happen at the end of every minute.
March 31, 2017
A great procedural and meditation on obsession. This would make a great double bill with "All The President's Men" or "Close Encounters of the Third Kind". Incredible attention to detail, beautiful cinematography and strong performances across the board.
March 31, 2017
Mystique, exciting and real.
½ March 8, 2017
Pretty good film, highly fascinating. Half a point off for factual inaccuracies. A great work of fiction, but the truth of the Zodiac mystery is not found here.
March 6, 2017
A great American crime film. It takes the true story of the infamous Zodiac Killer and creates a narrative around it. The film's three part storytelling was both suspenseful and dynamic. The entire cast gave a great effort and made the experience all the more enjoyable. David Fincher's style was slightly tweaked to fit the time period, but it still is very much his film.
February 25, 2017
Such a great film. So many twist and turns! Thrilled from first minute to the last, such a surprising start!
February 21, 2017
David Fincher's typically outstanding grip for suspense and a trio of powerful performances make Zodiac a compelling crime thriller.
½ February 14, 2017
I didn't know there was such...
½ February 7, 2017
Based on the non-fiction book of the same name by Robert Graysmith. Zodiac tells the story of the manhunt for a notorious serial killer who called himself the "Zodiac" in and around the San Francisco Bay Area (America) during the late 1960s and early 1970s.
½ February 2, 2017
Zodiac is a dark, slow paced thriller that will have you guessing over and over again where is the plot going, all with great performances from its cast and excellent direction from David Fincher
January 17, 2017
Almost ten years after seeing this picture for the first time in 2007, I still find that multiple viewing of Zodiac is never an exhaust. This is a criminally underrated movie of all time. It under performed at the box office and was utterly ignored at awards. It does not play out like any serial killer films with vivid horrifying scenes but rather paints the picture with a realistic depiction of how characters involved trying to solve the crime by meticulous investigation. One of Fincher's best films after The Social Network and Fight Club.

Verdict: Four stars out of Four (A)
December 21, 2016
Dark and difficult to watch at times, but showcases much of David Fincher's grand directing talents !
½ December 14, 2016
Las mas de dos de metraje estan bien compensadas por la historia real sobre la angustiante caceria en pos de un asesino en serie. No pierda de vista al reparto.
December 10, 2016
Very long, sometimes twisty in plot