Zodiac - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Zodiac Reviews

½ August 14, 2017
With a powerful cast, a clear vision, and a steadily paced direction on one of America's biggest unsolved crimes, Zodiac earns its place on the great American crime drama's list while also maintaining faithful to the reality of the situation at hand.
August 13, 2017
Zodiac features good performances from its talented cast, reliably strong direction from Fincher, superb cinematography, a good mystery and a couple of truly terrifying murder sequences, but it needed more action in my opinion and it was ultimately undone by its needlessly prolonged running time. It's a good film, but far from the director's greatest works.
August 10, 2017
The way this film flows is executed perfectly. It kept me iterested the whole time. Very easy to sit back and watch. Does a great job of showing us the story and not telling. Acting and cenimatography is great all across the board. My favorite thing about this film is how the point of view constantly changes from character to character. It allows for a really in depth look in the story.
½ August 7, 2017
Director, David Fincher, captures the true story of a San Francisco serial killer in the movie, Zodiac. The movie accurately depicts Robert Graysmith's obsession in finding the Zodiac Killer as well as really capturing the Zodiac Killer's effect on the community. Fincher manages to make the audience feel like part of the investigation by making sure every detail was there. This movie is a very intriguing mystery based on a real life mystery that is yet to be solved.
August 5, 2017
Excellent adaption of the Robert Graysmith. Excellent acting from the three leads and supporting actors. DAvid Fincher should make more films
½ August 3, 2017
4.5/5. The energy can't be maintained for the whole nearly 3 hour run time, but that said, Zodiac actually flows by quickly and is extremely engrossing. Another solid film from David Fincher.
August 2, 2017
Suspenseful in every sense of the word. Dialogue driven movie with such great writing is bound to be good but this was great.
½ July 30, 2017
Hard to make a 150-minute movie go by quickly.
July 24, 2017
Any fact-based film that doesn't surround an emotional crisis of a rising figure but chronicling around a singular events based on originated facts is intellectually captivating and brilliant, like this detailed mystery thriller. It invites you in to a few decades of investigation to feel the suspenseful public atmosphere and the tricky obsession as part of the delivery of multiple facts that are engaging when indirectly interacting with the investigation. Both writing and direction were exceptionally well done while the main cast took us on a ride through the delivery and tensed atmosphere with their performances being mostly magnetic and occasionally charismatic. With the leading players led and narration directed, the direction gives an ideal sense for director David Fincher's own mastery, like this film being a masterpiece even with its small, yet heavy dark natured throughout. (A-)

(Full review TBD)
July 13, 2017
Stayed up all night after this one.
½ June 26, 2017
Intelligent, informative and entertaining. Very well done film about the Zodiac murders.
June 25, 2017
Wow, what can I say about this movie that hasn't been said before? If you're looking for a movie that makes you feel like you wasted a significant portion of your life with no resolution do I have the movie for you! This movie will make you wish you would have read reviews in the first place. Unfortunately the reviews for this are unreasonably high for this underwhelming "thriller". So you're welcome for trying to even out the score. They did a great job of making you continue to watch and next thing you know its 3 hours later and you have no resolution. Spoiler alert, there's nothing to spoil because there is no ending in sight. I'm still searching for it, no where to be found. Like what's the point of making this movie and having no real ending to it. Yeah, yeah, yeah I know it's based on a true story blah blah blah but hey maybe not all stories need to be told. Especially when you have no answers to a million questions and all circumstantial evidence that can't be used. I can tell you what happens in this movie in less than 30 seconds and save you 156.5 minutes from your life. Serial killer kills people, toys with police, never gets caught. You're welcome. There's so many unnecessary scenes and plot twists it makes my head hurt. For the love of god don't watch this movie, if you are for some reason forced to do so I genuinely feel bad for you. If I could take every copy of this movie from existence and burn them I would do so in a heartbeat just to save the rest of the world from the heap of shit that I just endured. I hope you found this review useful.
½ June 22, 2017
Zodiac is crime/drama film directed by David Fincher, and it was released all the way back in 2007. A decade ago! Dang, that is hard to believe. Anyway, I wasn't able to see Zodiac when it initially released in theaters and really I had never even thought about it until I saw it got added to Netflix this month. I immediately added it to my list and finally got around to watching it. Zodiac may not be as good as Se7en, and it's definitely not the best crime/drama movie ever made, but it's still pretty damn good.

Plot

As you might have guessed based off of the title, Zodiac, the movie is all about the Zodiac killer, and the people who try to figure out the identity of the killer. I won't go too deep into spoilers, but if you were alive when the Zodiac killer was actually active or if you have read the book, you'll know at least some of the story. Essentially, there's a serial killer on the loose in California and he likes to taunt the press/police after he successfully commits a murder. The movie follows the detectives, a journalist, and a cartoonist as they try to figure out who the killer is. I wasn't alive during that time, and I never read the book or do any research on the subject. So this was a whole new story to me, and I feel like I benefited because of that. The entire time I was trying to figure out who the killer actually was. The director does try to throw a few curveballs at the audience, but I feel like they were almost unnecessary and actually hindered my final assessment of the film. Not that throwing curve balls at the audience is necessarily a bad thing, but the twists just weren't executed all that well.

Anyway, the story kept me enthralled from start to finish. I was completely invested in the investigation by about the half-way point. I didn't look at how much longer was left in the movie once, and I even put off going to the bathroom because I did not want to pause the movie. That's how into it I was. One challenge that Fincher really overcame was the timeline. This movie spans a lot of years. And sometimes that can harm a film dearly. Jumping weeks, months, years at a time can sometimes kill a film's momentum, and lose the audience in the process. But this movie doesn't do that. It can jump weeks or months and you'll hardly even notice. It never loses momentum and it never becomes a drag.

Overall, the story of Zodiac is incredibly gripping and well done. Fincher does a great job of making a "cold case" into a movie that actually has a resolution that is satisfying, and he is able to make even the boring stuff seem interesting.

Characters

Almost all of the characters in Zodiac are great. They're engaging, unique, and have great arcs. But Paul Avery, who is portrayed by Robert Downey Jr., is the weakest character of the entire film. I get that Fincher was a bit hogtied when it came to each character's arc, but man what a waste of Robert Downey Jr. His character has a pretty small role in the film in the grand scheme of things and doesn't actually add a whole lot to it. He drinks, he smokes, and he helps the case along a little but for the most part he's just there. And it gets to a point in the film where he's completely unnecessary, but they give him a few scenes anyway. I mean, Zodiac is a long film, so cutting out these excess scenes with his character would have trimmed at least a few minutes off of the 2 hour and 37 minute run time. But it is Robert Downey Jr. so I guess they didn't want to cut any of his scenes. Now, I want to make it perfectly clear that Paul Avery doesn't hinder the film or impact it in a negative way. He just doesn't add a whole lot to it and overall seems unnecessary. The rest of the characters are great, though.

Potential Audience

Zodiac is a mature film. The first half of the movie contains quite a few murder scenes, and I would say that no one under the age of 16 or 17 should watch it. Heck, some people well into their 40s may find some of the scenes in this movie disturbing. It all depends on how much ultra-realistic violence actually impacts you. If you like crime, drama, or thriller movies you'll definitely have a good time with Zodiac. Just don't let your young child watch it.

Conclusion

Zodiac is a great film. The story is a quite the ride and the characters keep you engaged. The film does run a bit long, but because the story is so fascinating I doubt you'll even notice how long it truly is. If you have Netflix, go watch it as soon as you can. If you don't have Netflix, go rent it for a couple of bucks-it's worth it.
June 15, 2017
David Fincher needs to do more movies like this.
June 11, 2017
I really enjoyed this movie. Maybe it's my obsession with serial killers, or love for David Fincher, but I found it fascinating. Crazy they never caught the guy, or even figured out who it was.
½ June 2, 2017
great film about the unsolved murders that people still wonder about class performances and a film that grinds out the facts
May 3, 2017
David Fincher, who previously directed some of the best films off all time, like Se7en (1995), and Fight Club (1999), comes back with this horror movie, based on true events. It's quite long, but the film is well made and sticks pretty well to the true story, feels, in a way, like a documentary. It's surprising how the film's dialogue can be very tense, suspensful and very scary, much more than the death scenes. The film spends more time developing, following the characters and shaping their personality and role in the story. Bottom line, this is an other achievement by David Fincher and makes you wonder who was, or is, and where the hell is the Zodiac now? Recommended !!
April 24, 2017
The straightforward approach is crucial, because the movie is constantly doling out so much information -- so many names and places and theories to keep track of -- that it borders on the overwhelming. Occasionally, it's a little dull, too.
April 20, 2017
Despite knowing how this true story turned out (or at least how it did by 2007), I was still captivated and enthralled throughout the entire film. I couldn't wait to see where things would go. And I don't mean that in the sense that I just wanted to see what would happen at the end of the nearly three hour long run-time. I mean that I couldn't wait to see what was going to happen at the end of every minute.
March 31, 2017
A great procedural and meditation on obsession. This would make a great double bill with "All The President's Men" or "Close Encounters of the Third Kind". Incredible attention to detail, beautiful cinematography and strong performances across the board.