Black Mirror: Season 5 Reviews

• 3d ago

Worst season, boring, slow, subliminal messaging, dropped the ball.

Worst season, boring, slow, subliminal messaging, dropped the ball.

• 5d ago

A sadly much worse season than it should have been. I certainly had higher expectations for this new season but was only let down.

• Jan 13, 2020

This show really fell off a cliff this season...I dont know what happened. I mean to go from the emotional heights of San Junipero and the depths of White Christmas, to the comparatively barren wasteland that is Rachel, Jack and Ashley too, This show has given me serious whiplash. If you're going to watch the show, for gods sake start early (skip the first episode) and ignore the entire fifth season. You'll thank me. Im praying for better times on the next go around.

• Jan 11, 2020

This is the exact season when a very good TV series became socially acceptable and vanilla. From good to trash in Just one season.

• Dec 27, 2019

My friends and I were thinking about the Fighting Game episode...and real talk, this opened a whole new debate on whether this is infidelity or just a pastime. Is it wrong to do this when we have a significant other? It was funny, we joked that we would totally do this too. If technology allowed us to feel the pleasures of the opposite sex, the world will never be the same. That's about it, every other episode was a bit preachy about tech being bad.

• Dec 27, 2019

Falls short of the previous seasons; seems to have forgotten what it is as a show. Easy to watch, hard to enjoy.

• Dec 23, 2019

really love black mirror but this wasted a chance to do art like always

really love black mirror but this wasted a chance to do art like always

• Dec 22, 2019

I didn't like season 5. I have loved the previous seasons but this one wasn't as good as the previous seasons. 'Ashley too' was the worst episode. Up until now, in most of the episodes, whatever fucked-up things that were happening were happening directly or indirectly because of technology. (There are exceptions to this like 'The national anthem' but even in that we see how the kidnapper was using tech evaded the cops. Also how that guy posting about that star who was going to play the double for the prime minister ruined their plan to CGI the pig fucking and then the PM actually had to do it.) Coming to the Story of 'Ashley too', it was predictable. A manager using kid star for profit. What was the point of the doll? They didn't show any psychological ramifications or any bad effects of the doll. It was just used as a plot device for the girls to get to know what was happening with Ashley. I mean my point is the things that happened to Ashley would have happened anyway if it was 1970 or 2070 only she wouldn't have been rescued by some 15 yo. The part where they tried to extract songs from her brain is so forced and unnecessary. Why couldn't they just hire a songwriter and then use her voice (which they said they already had) to voice that song? I mean just think about it. Not a lot of different things would've happened if this was set in the past. Ashely would have still been used and abused. And if she would've gone into a coma then the manager would've had to find her replacement just sooner rather than later. The only thing that would've not happened was 'Ashely eternal'. The message was that Ashely could be suffering but this hologram of her could replace her and her manager is now earning money off of that. Which is kind of happening now anyway. Songs are on YouTube and can be viewed anytime. For example, Tupac is dead but his songs are still on YouTube his label must still be profiting from his songs. The whole part about them crashing the debut of Ashley eternal was also very dramatic and very showdown-ish. I just PERSONALLY FELT it was forced. Why did she even go there. I thought they were gonna have this big confrontation but she just flips her off??? I mean if u r gonna do this big thing car slamming crashing into party thing at least confront her. Personally I would've liked them to, in the end, have a conservation about the things that happened one on one. It would've felt much more real. Also the two sisters going into Ashley's home felt something out of a kids movie. 'Striking vipers' was an okay episode. I think it was one of the lighter episodes. So not the best but still good. 'Smithereens' was the best in this season. The entire episode was about everyone always on their phones and in the end everyone who watched the episode also checked their phones like the people were doing at the end of the episode to know whether he died or not. Which I think is fucking brilliant. One problem I had was how the police handled it. Now I don't know how cops are meant to handle these situations in Britain but I was a little bit annoyed about how they acted. Once they moved away from Gillhaney why didn't they immediately try to establish contact with him? I mean after his little outburst we see he acts pretty reasonable so we think he is not gonna shoot the intern but how do the cops know he is not just gonna fucking shoot him. Even after the negotiator comes he contacts Gillhaney like 5 mins later. Buy ig that cop thing can't really be taken as like a complaint against the show. So apart from that I think Smithereens was fucking brilliant. So In the end I think this just didn't hold up to my expectations.

• Dec 06, 2019

There is nothing of the previous genius of "Black Mirror" in this season. What a colossal disappointment. I wish I could go back and unwatch it.

• Dec 05, 2019

Bad episodes let down the whole series but had some amazing ones in there!

Bad episodes let down the whole series but had some amazing ones in there!