Noughts + Crosses: Season 1 Reviews

• Feb 15, 2021

An entertaining and thought-provoking series, really beautifully produced. Hilarious how many white people here seem threatened by a show that simply retells history through a flipped racial lens.

• Dec 06, 2020

I think it is finally the end of the TV and Film Critic. They have completely lost touch with the audience the fans who watch these shows and movies. If you look at Critic scores then audience scores it's an ocean of difference. Critics no longer speak for us and honestly our voice is all that matters anyhow

• Oct 26, 2020

Strong enough first season. I don't love 'Noughts + Crosses', at least not yet, but it is still an opening season that I did enjoy sufficiently. The concept is no doubt an interesting and fairly complex one, it throws up interesting scenarios and thoughts. With that said, for season two, I hope they are a bit more neater with the real life parallels. A lot of them here do feel very forced, particularly the "blanca" thing. I can certainly see what they're attempting but as a programme it needs to be a bit more creative - and not just rely on the real world. The noughts/crosses thing itself is cool, though part of me feels like they could've left it in the title/credits and that's it. It goes with what I said a moment ago, it comes across as forced - especially across the opening few episodes. It isn't a difficult thing to understand, so we don't need it repeated so often - in my opinion, it would've been way better if it was subtly left in the title/credits. Cast-wise it's decent. Masali Baduza (Sephy) is the best actor onscreen, I thoroughly enjoyed her whole performance across the six episodes. I also liked Jonathan Ajayi, as Lekan, despite the obvious; he plays his character very well. Jack Rowan (Callum) is the best of the rest, though Paterson Joseph (Kamal), Helen Baxendale (Meggie) and Shaun Dingwall (Dorn) are solid too. A bit more subtlety and creativity would go a long way, so hopefully they improve in those regards in season two; assuming it happens, which I hope it does. All in all, very much worth a watch.

• Oct 13, 2020

The whole premise seems like massive cliche, even for kids' entertainment.

The whole premise seems like massive cliche, even for kids' entertainment.

• Oct 05, 2020

This race-reversal story of apartheid is cringe-worthy in its desire to be relevant and important. It's actually just boring and cliched, though sometimes visually appealing.