The X-Files: Season 1 Reviews

• Jan 04, 2020

Great season has good episodes a couple episodes I have a little mixed thoughts but there's nothing bad about this season.

• Dec 08, 2019

The first season of the hit sci-fi TV show "The X-Files" holds the proud honour of being the first non-Netflix TV show I've reviewed that is neither animated nor a superhero show. I actually was wondering which show would hold this honour but I never expected it to be this show. But enough about that, what did I think of the show? It's good. Unfortunately, I wasn't around to witness the craze surrounding this show and even the 2016 revival and its follow-up season seem to have attracted only an average amount of attention. Some episodes are mediocre and there's some degree of wooden acting but maybe it's because its been four years since I've watched a series that isn't a 13-hour movie. Yes, there are the mythology episodes and the monster-of-the-week episodes do allow ample time to flesh out Mulder and Scully's personalities more and increase character development (I especially really liked their conversation in "Tooms" in the car they usually drive around before Mulder goes home to catch some sleep) but you generally don't have to watch all of them unless they're introducing a supporting character. The theme music is iconic, even without the memetic treatment, though it's absolute hell to do properly as someone who can't whistle. It helps that the title sequence is fantastic. And as even people who don't watch the show know, the chemistry between David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson is great. I know I pointed out the wooden acting earlier but these two do work well off of each other to the point that I found their relationship pretty non-platonic. And I don't mean that as a bad thing. Maybe it's because of a combination of normal first-season problems like the show struggling to find its feet despite more good episodes than bad (I like "Beyond the Sea" the most due to Anderson's performance and because of Brad Dourif's guest star appearance) and the fact that I was aware of some of the twists in the mythology, whereas other shows I at least went in blind only knowing the basic premise but while I thought this season was good, I didn't find myself gushing over it. Though I do hear the next three seasons are better than this season - and season 5 apparently has the best comedic episodes whilst season 6 is decent-ish depending on how willing the viewer is to accept the change in setting - so I at least have those to look forward to. Still don't regret starting this series.

• Mar 11, 2019

This is one of the best shows of all history. Cannot recommend it enough!

This is one of the best shows of all history. Cannot recommend it enough!

• Oct 03, 2018

A good first season although a little clunky at times.

A good first season although a little clunky at times.

• Mar 09, 2018

Dispite some rough acting at the beginning and a couple of poor episodes, this show's first season sets a wonderfully creepy and mysterious atmosphere.

• Dec 30, 2017

Dark, moody and like nothing before it. The X-FILES never felt like a TV show and that's what worked so well. The production was great and the majority here feel like little movies with only Mulder and Scully as the constant. Mostly stand-alone episodes other than squeeze and Tooms, which is still one of the best. For a casual viewer or fan of horror and Sci-fi this is a great season with only a few that fall flat.

• Sep 18, 2017

The pilot is engrossing and sends you on a fantastic journey for the season. There are some technical shortcomings with sound and cinematography but well worth ignoring to get these fabulous stories.

• Feb 28, 2017

Every once in a while, a show comes along that will grip you and not let go...The X-Files is that kind of a show. During the First Season of The X-Files, we are introduced to Fox Mulder (David Duchovny), a brilliant (yet strange) F.B.I investigator. Mulder believes that his sister was abducted by aliens when she was a child, and he will do everything in his power to prove that the U.S. government knows of this and is covering it up. Because of his obsession, Mulder is paired with Agent Dana Scully (Gillian Anderson), a straight-laced, by-the-book agent sent to debunk his work. However, rather than spying on Mulder, Scully takes an interest in his work and they become strong partners. That is the basis for the rest of the show. In most episodes, Mulder and Scully investigate paranormal happenings that defy the laws of nature or the universe. Scully proves to be ever the skeptic she set out to be, never being convinced of Mulder's work. The real power of the show, though, comes with its ability to let the viewer feel exactly what Fox Mulder is feeling. So many times during the First Season Mulder comes agonizingly close to unearthing critical evidence against the government in his pursuit of aliens, but each and every time it is yanked away or swept under the rug. The viewers feel just as cheated as Mulder does, wanting to continue the quest for the truth. Along the way in Season One, a few key characters are introduced. The Cigarette Smoking Man (William B. Davis) makes a few minor, yet crucial, appearances, while the mysterious Deep Throat (Jerry Hardin) works as a trusted (?) informant to Mulder. Season One of The X-Files is quite different from all the other seasons. It has more of a darker, scarier feel to it. The "mythology" established in later seasons has not been developed quite yet, so it consists primarily of stand-alone episodes. A good job is done with character development, and it definitely makes one want to keep watching the show. In conclusion, Season One is a great scary, sci-fi show. Turn out the lights, turn up the TV, and enjoy!! Update (12/2015) -After a recent re-watch of this season, I'm keeping this season at four stars. It is a great first season, but with a few too many really terrible clunkers to give it a full five stars. One thing I had forgotten about this season is how passionate Duchovny is as Mulder. With respect to Anderson's Scully, Mulder's character arc is really what jump-starts this show in the early-goings.

• Dec 03, 2016

I used to be addicted to this show. The character development makes the show, but the endless quest for truth, for finding answers to mysteries, for trying to solve often supernatural mysteries, keeps it interesting. The relationship between Mulder and Scully is the backbone of the show. They have interesting chemistry, and consistent differences in their views and approach, yet a devotion to each other and the work. They are almost like a married couple and seem to care deeply for each other, but they are not sexually involved (maybe once it happened in a later season?) It's an ideal working relationship. The best thing about it is the fantasy of working a job like this. How fun to get paid to travel around the country with your best friend solving mysteries! It's like Scooby Doo for grownups.

• Nov 03, 2016