Veep: Season 7 Reviews

• Jun 12, 2020

I'm a huge Veep fan. So much so that I've watched the first 5 seasons twice. But the final season was absolutely terrible. And season 6 wasn't that great either - but at least it was still somewhat intriguing. The only explanation I can think of as to why so many are claiming season 7 was great is because we've all fallen in love with Veep over season 1-5 and some of us have lost all objectivity. I actually agree with the part of the RT critic consensus that reads this season is "Brash and bonkers as ever, Veep bows out with an unapologetically absurd final season..." the key words being: brash, bonkers and unapologetically absurd. The problem is these adjectives aren't necessarily a good thing. Part of what made Veep so magnificent is that it was able to provide a very plausible, realistic and extremely authentic feeling government and political fantasy world while injecting that world with absurdly audacious drama and genius comedy. But season 7 threw out all of the plausibility and just went with the absurd. The jokes were repetitive and way over the top in a low brow humor sort of way. The shock value of each joke diminished with every attempt because it felt like it was simply trying to top the absurdity of the last one. But after a while your senses simply become numb to the same formula. The drama unfolded in a way that killed any remaining sense of illusion that this political world could actually exist in real life. I can only compare this sort of series degradation to the Hangover movies. The first Hangover was genius. The sequels ran out of genius so their only option was to just be as absurd as humanly possible. It's a very cheap way to go but I guess it makes financial sense. Give the people what they want - right? Well in trying to appease the masses, Veep neglected its subset of fans that were genuinely invested intellectually in the Veep world for all these years and who actually appreciated the slow-burn of its political intrigue. We didn't want Family Guy. We didn't want Hangover 2. You let us down.

• Feb 13, 2020

The final season went out with a bang. This is how you take your final bow. Bravo!!!

• Nov 22, 2019

As Outrageous and honest as ever, Ianucci signs Veep off in fitting fashion, with his trademark acid wit, raunchy humour and stone-cold satire ringing true —— along with Julia Louis Dreyfus, Chlumsky and Hale, who deliver a spellbinding swansong that will leave you in awe. Goodbye Selina... it's been political! Iroh's grade: A

• Nov 15, 2019

Amazing cast, amazing talent, all in all it was a fantastic show.

Amazing cast, amazing talent, all in all it was a fantastic show.

• Nov 03, 2019

How charmed a career has Julia Louis-Dreyfus had. She rolls from arguably the greatest sitcom of all time into another fantastic show. I was a big fan of the BBC show "The Thick of It" (run out and watch it if you haven't seen it) but Veep has actually managed to out snark that landmark TV show. Roger Furlong hilarious portrayed by Dan Bakkedahl is one of the most hilariously vicious characters ever dreamed up and Selina Meyer is not far behind. I'm imagining Iannucci's depiction is not that far off from the real Capitol Hill minus the wit.

• Nov 02, 2019

Never wanted to like the show but just couldn't help it. Great casting, great writing...It was great.

• Aug 27, 2019

JLD is the best actress on TV (comedy), no contest! Great Veep finally.

JLD is the best actress on TV (comedy), no contest! Great Veep finally.

• Jul 30, 2019

Veep foi a razão, até agora, de não morrer em 2019. Enquanto a maioria das séries da HBO foi perdendo qualidade nesse ano veep assoprou um ar fresco e muitas gargalhadas.

• Jul 15, 2019

Sezonul final si mai ales ultimul episod sunt incredibile

Sezonul final si mai ales ultimul episod sunt incredibile

• Jul 08, 2019

Overratted - If you are not a hard core partisan liberal you can skip this one - its nothing but smug liberalism and christian/conservative bashing. The show also probably has the most racism in it that I have seen in modern TV era.