Da 5 Bloods Reviews

• Jul 12, 2020

Spike Lee's "Da 5 Bloods" is a tense, gut-wrenching and powerful film that sheds light on the experiences of black veterans in the Vietnam war. With his twenty-third feature, writer/director Spike Lee has crafted a powerful depiction of the Vietnam War. It's the filmmaker's first attempt to dramatize the experiences of black war veterans, but he pulls it off seamlessly. Using captivating cinematography, Lee draws viewers into the lives of traumatized war heroes. From intimate close-ups to gorgeous establishing shots, the cinematography keeps viewers immersed in the film's setting. The aspect ratios, locations and musical score are all carefully chosen, combining to create an immersive cinematic experience. It is hard to not praise the powerful performances from the cast. Delroy Lindo delivers a towering central performance as Paul. With mesmerizing expressions, he conveys the fear, anger and righteous fury of a war veteran inflicted with PTSD. The supporting cast, which includes the scene-stealing Chadwick Boseman, is also worthy of recognition. Although "Da 5 Bloods" is undeniably unforgettable, ultimately it is not a flawless film. At nearly two and a half hours, it is slightly long and suffers from a lengthy running-time. Moreover, it's controversial themes may not appeal towards mainstream audiences. Nevertheless, fans of Spike Lee will definitely enjoy "Da 5 Bloods" and so will movie-goers seeking enlightening entertainment. At a time when the Vietnam War is rarely depicted in films, it's a rousing reminder that the stories of black war veterans are worth depicting on the big-screen.

• 1d ago

Not up to Spike's standards.

Not up to Spike's standards.

• 2d ago

This movie by Spike Lee is in my opinion awesome, and I really recommend everyone to watch this movie. I repeat in "my opinion", because I read very negative reviews about this movie. With the few flashbacks back to the time of the cold war, the war fitting music of Marvin Gaye, and the great landscapes, the movie gives a little impression of that time. What I especially liked was that this is finally a really good war movie about the Vietnam war, with exclusively African-American actors in the leading roles. The movie has great gunfights, an interesting story and the actors couldnt have done better.

• 2d ago

Not a bad film by any means, but for me the stylistic choices and lackluster execution of the action scenes kept pulling me out of the movie. And when that keeps happening you really start to feel the two and a half hours runtime.

• 3d ago

A modern-day Sierra Madre…only the treasure isn't just gold, but purpose. Sadly, both fortunes are futile, as we witness the ongoing cycle of younger/poorer/darker men being forced to continue the meaningless wars of their older/richer/whiter "fathers". Lee is certainly a "message" director, & he's certainly got things to say, but the moniker downplays his ability to weave a great story. It's a violently sorrowful depiction of the black American vet that (for better & worse) wears its themes on its sleeves.

• 3d ago

Dreadful waste of time, such a disapointment, could have been brilliant, but it turned out unwatchable

• 3d ago

Another great Spike Lee Joint. Loved the storyline, music and historical elements. Great movie.

• 4d ago

Tal vez es demasiado extensa y un poco lenta, pero las actuaciones y la acción está bien desarrollada. Muy bueno ese cameo del bar "Apocalypse now"!

• 4d ago

Much too long and very far fetched; however, good acting by all of the major players. Sadly, they were given very little to work with.

• 4d ago

I loved the story, the music, and the cast. So powerful. Tragic and funny.

I loved the story, the music, and the cast. So powerful. Tragic and funny.